Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Engagement Party

Next weekend, Mr. Butterfly and I are flying down to Houston for our “engagement party.” I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I called my parents to tell them that Mr. Butterfly and I had gotten engaged, their first reaction was,Top Tips on Choosing Lace Prom Dresses,personalized bobblehead, “Without us??? How could you?”

My dad’s reaction was my favorite. He said “Without us? That’s not right….oh well, congratulations.” Then he called back 30 minutes later and asked “Well,personalized bobble heads, did you at least involve HIS parents?” Of course, we hadn’t. My father’s reaction… “There is something wrong with you.” Gee,custom bobbleheads, thanks dad.

Don’t get me wrong –,personalized bobble heads; he is extremely happy for us. He just doesn’t understand the American culture or customs.

And I was not the only person who got the reaction that my parents gave me,personalized bobbleheads. My cousin, who got married over 10 years ago, had the same problem. She was so excited to be engaged,personalized bobblehead, and when she called her mother in Korea,custom bobblehead, her mother was absolutely disappointed that she was not asked to be a part of such an important occasion. I believe most of my Korean friends who got engaged the “American way” received the same reaction from their parents as well.

You see in Korean culture,custom bobblehead, it is customary to announce the engagement to everyone, including friends, family,customized bobbleheads, acquaintances,,, etc. It is a public celebratory announcement made by both families to everyone else. A sort of party to say “Hey,Cleaning Vintage Wedding Dresses, we approve and now our children are getting married!” An event in which the parents of both sides are an integral part – since it is their decision to let you two marry. This is the engagement party.

Unfortunately,Classifieds February 26, 2015, since Mr. Butterfly and I are both Americanized, it didn’t happen that way. He wanted the proposal to be a surprise, and I wanted to be surprised. You can see why my parents were disappointed. So now we are going to Houston to celebrate with my family, my friends and my parents friends.

In order to make up for the party that my parents lost out on,personalized bobbleheads, we are going to Houston to celebrate with my family,customized bobbleheads, my friends and my parent’s friends.

I’m looking forward to it –,.; of course. And I will have plenty of pictures when I return! But it made me think of all of the cultures and the traditions out there. I always find other traditions fascinating because there is always a story behind it – a reason for the tradition and the custom.

So tell me, what are your culture’s traditions regarding engagements?

Tags: new-york BLOGGER Mrs. Butterfly Location: New York Occupation: Healthcare Administrator Wedding Date: November 2006 Venue: Twenty-Four Fifth --> PREVIOUS POSTSunrise Sunset NEXT POSTThe Meaning of Marriage Related Posts On Being a Wedding Guest09/16/14 @ 7:54 am A Walrus in a Sea of Emotions 12/08/14 @ 4:08 pm Watercooler: August 30,customize bobblehead,Guide to Buy Wedding Dresses at Low Cost, 201408/30/14 @ 7:00 am Watercooler: January 16,custom bobbleheads, 201501/17/15 @ 7:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment